Friday, July 17, 2009

The End of the Affair

I may not be too old for gaming, but I seem to be too old for games. Sport just doesn't seem to do it for me these days. However, I heard that something called the British Open is taking place at the moment, and this got me remembering the golf games I used to play.

The first golf game I played was, I think, Leaderboard on my old Amstrad PCW. In glorious green and black and with a sqare ball, it seemed great at the time. I followed the Leaderboard franchise on to PC, where it looked a tad better:


... graphics were to improve, as the screenshots below show.

Of course, back in the halcyon PC golfing days of the nineties, Leaderboard was only one of a number of ways of enjoying a good walk spoiled on PC. My all-time favourite was probably Jack Nicklaus 6: Golden Bear Challenge:


- I particularly remember amusing myself for hours on the course designer, although I don't recall ever actually finishing a course.

Things moved on when mouse swing (or whatever it was called) was introduced to golf games, giving a feel of swinging the club. Well, sort of. I don't recall the first game I got that had that (I've still got it somewhere - I'll dig it out), but it soon became a standard feature, although the great Links franchise stuck with keyboard control until Links 2003:


The last golf game that I flirted with was the 2004 incarnation of Tiger Woods PGA Tour:


- looked good, but my love affair with golf games was over, and I didn't play it much. Now, it seems that the PC's love affair with golf games is also over, with hardly any golf games available for the format - even the latest Tiger Woods is console-only.

0 comments:

Post a Comment